Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘tutorials’ Category

Universal Hat: in-between sizes

uh-oh, hat's too big!

My Universal BJD Hat pattern aspires to make it possible for every doll to have a basic toque (or beanie, or watch cap, or whatever it’s called in your neck of the woods), based on wig size.  But some dolls don’t wear a standard wig size and in this post I’ll walk you through the arithmetic of customizing the hat beyond what’s in the pattern to fit unusually-sized heads – or unusual wigs!

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Picking up stitches for the February Dolly Skirt is a bit tricky to explain, so I took pictures.  Clicking on them will take you to the larger size (but fair warning, it’s veeeeery large).  It’s worth noting that I knit continental, and that since I wasn’t able to work out a hands-free way to photograph this, you don’t see my right hand working the right-hand needle.  You’ll have to use your imagination for that, I guess.  Or send me money so I can buy a head-mountable videocamera?

View the tutorial under the cut.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Somehow in almost five years of living together, G and I have never managed to own a normal number of hot mats or trivets.  I think we had two – one is glass and gets brought out for special occasions; the other is wood and was regularly used for the teapot up until its recent demise, when the glue holding the laminated pieces together finally dissolved after washing it for the umpty-ninth time.  So now we have two useless half-trivets and one I-can-hardly-stand-the-clanking glass one.  Not a sustainable situation!

Fortunately, G had an idea!  We were talking about this video of Rachel John knitting with 1000 strands of yarn and he said, “Could you make a hot mat like that?  Holding, like, 20 strands of dishcloth cotton together?  You could use dowel from my wood shop for needles!”  Well, dowel sounded a lot less comfortable than the smooth plastic 12mm needles in my stash, but the idea was a great one, as you can see!

GEDC0183

GEDC0184

In the end, I used 12 strands for the square mat and 8 for the round one, working from both ends of several balls of dishcloth cotton.  For the square one, I cast on 9 stitches and worked in seed stitch until it was square-ish.  The round one is worked flat, in garter stitch, then sewed up.  I cast on 5 stitches and increased 5 across every right-side row until it was “large enough.”  Either bind off on a wrong side row or, as I did, increase 5 while binding off.  These mats only took about 1/3 of each of the balls of yarn I had, so it would be a great project if you’ve been knitting dishcloths and have leftovers in several colours!  I think you could go as few as 4 strands and still have a decent hot mat.

Yes, it was a bit unwieldy…two mats was about as much as I could manage in a day before my wrists started hurting from wrestling with such a thick “yarn.” But they’re so cheerful!  I will definitely be making more, and you should too!

Read Full Post »