Posts Tagged ‘costume’

Happy Halloween

By the time this post goes live I expect it will be November already, but as I start to write it, it’s still Halloween and I’m squeaking my costume post in under the wire.

This year felt a bit like Talloween, since both my costume and G’s were based around Tally’s tutorials from I Could Make That.  First off, my costume:


I used this tutorial on making a lined hood as a jumping-off point for a Little Red Riding Hood.  The cape I modelled off a raglan sweater I like the fit of…turns out that wasn’t absolutely the best choice as the trapezoid-on-a-rectangle-shaped sections that work so well in hand knitting make for strange corners in a woven fabric, so if I were to make another cape, I’d take the same measurements from a sweater that fits me well, but I’d smooth the pieces out into straight trapezoids.  Got it?  Well, I whipped up a schematic to help a bit.  I’m sure if you’re smart about sewing you already know this (maybe there are even better names for these shapes than the ones I’ve come up with!) but it was news to me.

diagram of raglan-shaped and trapezoid-shaped sections that might be used for sewing something cape-like

The whole thing is lined, and it’s all sewn by hand.  I was working on it on the heels of my epic dolly dress, and if ever an experience made me want to own a (non-broken) sewing machine, it was 3 days of hand-sewing pleats and gathers in miniature followed immediately by 3 more days of sewing what felt like miles of straight seams.  Usually my fingers feel pretty tough, what with all the small-gauge knitting I do, but I sure was ruing my lack of thimble by the time I debuted this costume.

Cape shaping notwithstanding, the hood itself turned out great (thanks, Tally!) although following her pattern did make it fairly shallow, so if you want one with a little more depth I suggest adding maybe an inch along the front, especially if you are using a woven fabric, such as for example a red fitted sheet you picked up at the second hand store for $3, instead of t-shirt jersey material or other knits as in the original tutorial.  This is because the woven material tends to have a little more body/less drape, so my hood doesn’t quite have the same soft fall as Tally’s awesome tiger costume.

Speaking of $3, I made G’s costume for the same low price!  Well, not counting any of the stuff that came out of my stash…


What are you looking at?  Only the most dastardly serial killer of the panda persuasion!  The sad panda serial killer kills other pandas and then wears their skin for clothes.  He’s sad because he realizes it’s wrong but he knows he won’t stop until he’s caught.  Poor sad panda.  Someone should make a movie.  The sad panda mask was also made from a pattern of Tally’s, although I completely omitted her awesome heat-bond appliqué method.  I can tell you, though, that if you have the supplies on hand, her method would make certain parts of the process a lot easier.  For example, I get the impression that heat-bonded fleece would be able to stand up on its own in the ear department, unlike this faux-fur coat collar I picked up at the Sally Ann which is heavier and less stiff.  But the biggest thing is, you wouldn’t have to finish the eye holes.  I did my best with no-sew glue and ribbon, but by the end of my crafting I very much understood why the heat-bond technique would be a major advantage.

Incidentally, the panda is holding his weapon of choice there.  Yup, it’s a fondue fork.

Happy Halloween…now this salamander needs to crawl into a mud bed before she turns into a pumpkin!

Read Full Post »