First off, here’s a picture of the deer I have started calling “my Dearli dears.” They are always hanging around when I am heading home from work late and I’ve taken to saying hi and telling them off for being so bold! People walk and bike by them, and they just stare placidly at the interlopers, like “you’re not a tulip, why do I even care?”
Dearli, if you’re wondering, is a Chinese TaoBao shop selling Mori Girl outfits and accessories, and since I named my Regent cardigan “Dearli” (in part because I intend to style it Mori-fashion, and in part because the colourway is named “Doe”) I have had deer and Dearli on my mind a lot this summer.
Recently at knit night we were discussing what to do when a project doesn’t fit. Some people felt strongly that if a sweater doesn’t fit you, that just means it’s destined to belong to someone else! One woman said that she’d given away handknits before and that she would go to great lengths to find just the right person for a garment that didn’t fit its intended recipient. Personally, I’m a selfish perfectionist and once I’ve put that many hours into something, I will do whatever it takes to get the finished project I wanted. Which brings me to this week’s update!
When I got to the armholes and separated the fronts from the back, I figured it was about time to try the thing on and make sure the bust darts I’d added were working out. That’s when I discovered that although the total circumference of the sweater was pretty close to what I wanted, the back was so wide that the centre of the armholes wanted to sit about 3″ forward, more on my bust than my torso! So this weekend I sat down with some apple-ginger cider to dull the pain and ripped the whole thing out to start again.
I’m now working the next size smaller, with an additional change: after carefully checking my own measurements against the schematic (which I had done circumference-wise, but I’d neglected to take separate back and bust measurements), I’m placing the back shaping and armholes as for the smallest size. I think this will mean I can dial back the bust darts slightly too, as there will now be more material in the fronts to start with, but I haven’t double checked that math yet.
In addition to wanting a sweater that I will love passionately for its well-fittedness, I had a reason for ripping right back to the cast on: I tried to mess with the design and regretted it! Lately I’ve been moving away from Kfb increases because they create a purl-like bump that distorts stockinette. For some reason, instead of trusting the designer’s instructions, I decided to place a marker and use M1 increases from that point. The shape of the front was fine, but I was not happy with the very visible line where I’d been increasing.
This time around, I tried following the actual directions as stated in the pattern (crazy, I know) and what do you know, it looks amazing and no more line-that-adds-nothing on the fronts of my cardigan!
So let this be a lesson – always measure twice, and respect your designer!
Read Full Post »